A Foundation for Islamic Research and Education
As a legatee of the rich intellectual tradition in Muslim history, Al-Mawrid Global is a unique institution of learning. A deep concern over the dearth of suitable approaches to Islamic learning in our times gave birth to this institution at the dawn of the fifteenth century. Lost in the maze of sectarian prejudices and political wrangling, the true message of Islam, based on the Qur’an and the Sunnah, has become alien to the Muslims. The Qur’an, which is the foundation of this religion, is rarely approached for purposes other than oral delivery or rote learning. In the madrasas, those disciplines of learning that were at best a possible means to understanding the Qur’an have become an end in themselves. The Hadith has been isolated from its foundations in the Qur’an and the Sunnah, and the primary focus now is on the foundational principles and the emanating discourses of a particular school of thought and on the polemics to establish their superiority over those of others.As an institution, al-Mawrid is a name that symbolizes the effort to redress this problem. Therefore, the basic objective of this institution is facilitation and perpetuation of explanatory and research work on the true understanding of Islam, the publication and mass communication of this understanding through all possible means, and augmentation of people’s knowledge and education through its dissemination.
As an institution, Al-Mawrid Global is a name that symbolizes the effort to redress this problem. Therefore, the basic objective of this institution is facilitation and perpetuation of explanatory and research work on the true understanding of Islam, the publication and mass communication of this understanding through all possible means, and augmentation of people’s knowledge and education through its dissemination.
Following are the salient features of the strategy we have adopted to achieve the objective outlined above:
- A global movement of Tazkir bi al-Qur’an (reminding people through the Qur’an) shall be initiated.
- People shall be educated on the divine law, articles of faith and moral principles derived from the Qur’an and Sunnah.
- Researchers and scholars adhering to the true understanding of Islam shall be affiliated to the institution through the fellowship scheme, and their research, education and dawah work be facilitated as far as possible.
- People shall be motivated to set up, wherever possible:
- institutions of Islamic learning to produce religious scholars and researchers with a true vision and understanding of Islam.
- schools (up to the intermediate / high school / A levels) to provide students with high quality education and training in an environment where their creativity is encouraged and due attention is given to developing sound awareness of their religious and cultural heritage.
- weekend schools to provide students from other schools with instruction in the Qur’an through the Qur’an itself in such a manner as enables them to remain committed to their religion from the depth of heart, mind and soul in their later years.
- religious and spiritual sanctuaries where people can find a break from their worldly and mundane routines to benefit from the company of scholars and pious people, learn religion from them, and focus on worship and the prayer to purge their hearts and minds
The administration of Al-Mawrid Global is in the hands of its Board of Governors. The administrative system is founded on democratic principles. The President of the institution serves as the academic and intellectual patron, and the Secretary General is entrusted with its administrative affairs.
Al-Mawrid Global is a charity registered in Scotland (no. SC044505), and the institution accepts contributions from all those who agree with its objectives.